Monday, December 27, 2004

The Never Ending Story

My family and I bought the extended DVD set of “The Return Of The King” that has now come out. It was a Christmas gift to ourselves.

I had watched the first release with my brother and brother-in-law over the Thanksgiving weekend. We used a projector to show the movie on my brother’s living room wall. Very cool!

The ladies of the family were taking advantage of the holiday shopping deals while we set the little kids up in the basement with a television and VCR to watch the box of Christmas videos I had brought along.

When the ladies returned, of course, the movie wasn’t finished yet.

My mother remarked my misty eyes at the end, and I found it difficult to explain what I saw in the movie that would bring tears to my eyes.

I’ve thought about it on and off since then and decided to write out some of it here for you.

First, I remember reading of Tolkien telling C. S. Lewis that all stories are reflections of the greatest story: our history with God, the highlight being Jesus providing our salvation. Then there’s the concept of “The Never Ending Story”. The story never really stops. As one character leaves or dies, the torch of the story is passed to those who carry on.

In the “Return Of The King” and the entire saga of “The Lord Of The Rings” you see good versus evil, but what strikes me is all the sacrifices the friends made for one another. That is a reflection of what Jesus has done for us. Gandalf even comes back from a hellish place more glorified, as did Christ.

The ring, the physical symbol of evil, has taken its toll from all who’ve come in contact with it. We see Bilbo Baggins coming to look his proper age very quickly after his role in the war of the ring is done. It can be easily accepted that Bilbo leaves with the elves from Middle Earth on a ship that I am compelled to think of as departing for heaven.

Gandalf’s words to Pippin during the battle at Mina Tirith leads me to think that way as well. He speaks of death. He says this world’s gray cover is peeled back and all becomes silver glass. He then speaks of seeing white shores and a green land beyond. That sounds like heaven to me, and a place to look forward to.

Now four hobbits at the end of the story are at the harbor to see off Bilbo, Gandalf, and the elves when it turns out that Frodo Baggins is departing also, much to the other hobbits’ surprise. The ring has worn Frodo down so much more in his own role to destroy it, and he desires to go to what he views as his rest beyond Middle Earth.

I am reminded of many loved ones I expected to pass on very much like Bilbo, who were old and weary. I can also think of one or two that have departed as unexpectedly as Frodo’s departure.

We all live a story, and we are left to carry on with what was given to us by those who’ve gone before. It will someday be my turn to leave, and I want to leave good and helpful gifts behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home