Monday, February 14, 2005

Juvenile Hymnal Theology

As a preacher’s kid I (or anyone who grew up in the kind of Pentecostal church I did), was exposed to some wonderful hymns. These were the kind of songs that you couldn’t help but learn if you paid any kind of attention in church.

It is written in my baby book by my mother, that I used to love to sing a hymn called “He Took My Sins Away”. Well, I actually sang: “He took my THINGS away.”

“He took my THINGS away and keeps me singing every day. (Hallelujah)
I’m so glad He took my THINGS away. He took my THINGS away!”

Mom and Dad got a few good chuckles out of that. I heard that story until Bold One took over the comedic role in the family.

When I think of that, I have to admit I may have been on to something. We may have to allow the Lord to take some of our THINGS away to grow closer to Him. Then as we have grown, we can truly sing: “I’m so glad He took my THINGS away.”

I’m sure Dad used that in many sermons. It had to be too good to pass up.

When I lived down south, my cousin Patrick and I would brave sitting next to his brother Billy and hear him sing: “I’ve a mansion over there, and it’s free from TOILET CARE.” It was supposed to be “toil and care”, but his way was more colorful, and yet, theologically sound.

That had to be the hardest time of holding in a belly laugh in the middle of church until I told Baby Sister that the grape juice in communion was supposed to be Jesus’ Blood. She wrinkled her little nose and said, “That’s Jesus’ blood?”

I tried to share the “toilet care” version with one of my “mirror” cousins during another church service, but he tried to slug me right there in the pew. Some preachers’ kids have no sense of humor.

The one I really smile at even now is not even a hymn, but is known as a chorus. It talks about declaring your faith and acknowledging Christ as the center of your life. It has a line that goes: “And in Him I live and I move and I have my being.”

I pointed these lyrics out to Bold One at one time and said, “See, that guy only eats one bean a day!” I changed “being” to “bean” just to mess with my little brother. It’s something any self-respecting big brother does.

These little jokes have a way of backfiring sometimes. He had absorbed what I said and was quiet until one day while the family was singing together in the car. He piped up and said, “Let’s sing the ‘one bean a day’ song.” The “one bean a day” song? That’s when I had to explain my little joke to Dad.

At least I had pulled the wool over my brother’s eyes for a little while. He wasn’t usually easy to fool. I think that trait has benefited him well to this day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home