Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Bohemian Avenue #6

I looked up from my book while the bus was stopped somewhere along Hiawatha Avenue. It hadn’t held my attention very well anyway, because I could still hear the gangbangers at the back of the bus commenting on my short haircut. They made comments such as I could be “5-O”, which is code for “cop” taken from reruns of “Hawaii 5-O”. I guess this had replaced calling white people “honkey” or something.

I looked out my window as the bus pulled up to the stoplight, and right next to me was a man on a motorcycle. He wasn’t the stereotypical “biker”, but just a regular guy out for a ride. He wasn’t wearing a helmet, because helmets were optional in Minnesota.

Our eyes met and I thought he looked a bit tired. It was after ten and I was on the way to work my midnight shift, and I guess he was going home.

The light turned green and since he was faster than the bus, he pulled out into the intersection just ahead of the bus, but in his own lane.

Just then, an oncoming car decided to run the left turn light and slammed right into the motorcycle sending the biker sliding along the street. The motorcycle was wedged under the offending car.

Everything was still. The biker didn’t move.

My bus turned to detour around the block and go on its way.

I’m sure that was the first time I ever looked into the eyes of someone about to die.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home