Friday, October 22, 2004

Prayers Of A Dog

When I observe my dog, I notice she comes to certain members of the family for certain things that she wants.

When I come home from work in the morning, she wants me to take her for a walk. She’s been inside all night. She needs a walk. As I come in the door, she begins with the soft whining. She becomes my shadow and with that continuous little whine. She’ll lie next to me if I get on the computer. If I take too long, the whining gets gradually louder. “Oh, great walk giver, I fawn at your feet to receive the chance to do my doggy thing and sniff the great sniffs of life!”

My son is the playmate. “Come on, boy! Let’s play ball! I want to get the stick! I just love to sink my teeth into those!”

My daughter comes home. “Hi, girl.” She gives the dog a hug. The dog is acting out her thoughts, “You’re next! Let’s play ball! I want to get the stick! I just love to sink my teeth into those!” My daughter goes to the computer and signs on. The dog moves on.

Now for the next few hours she goes from my son to my daughter to me trying to satisfy her desires. We love her, but there are other things we want to do besides play fetch all the time.

When my wife comes home, she is the “treat giver”. “Oh, gracious treat giver, I bow and extent my paw in fellowship and adore your very presence for you to bestow upon me a yummy treat!”

That sounds like the way some people pray to God! He is the “treat giver” or the problem solver. With that mentality, it’s hard to remember that we are meant for much more than being God’s pet. He is trying to mold and train us to eventually be at His side.

Christians are the bride of Christ. That suggests a relationship more intimate and more demanding than that of being a house pet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home