Thursday, November 11, 2004

A Veteran's Good Memories

Veteran’s Day brings mostly good memories for me. I went to the Gulf War in 1991. You know, the cool desert war. We freed Kuwait and were gone relatively quickly without many doubts.

I was a decorated war veteran and was qualified for the Postal job I hold now. I’m basically a janitor to provide for my wife, son and daughter. Now you know.

Anyway, my good memories are seeing Denver and the Rocky Mountains in the early spring. Spending two wonderful years in Germany with a couple trips into Austria. There is too much to say about Germany right now.

I was engaged and married and had two children. Those three people are dreams come true for me.

I had the chance to see Panama for a few days, and went to England for a few months where I saw old friends from Germany and a couple castles that impressed me almost as much as Heidelberg.

Watching a squadron of F-16s take off in full afterburner at night in the Oman desert as the heat disappeared from the air was a beautiful site. It helped me to forget the heat and the ever-insinuating sand of that place during the day.

Good friends were with me during dull and happy times. I can’t recall too many sad ones. These friends were there to mourn our departure from North Carolina after six years of being married and becoming parents.

I served my country in the U. S. Air Force for nine years. I did a lot of growing up in that time. It’s a decent life in the military and would be at peace with the idea of my son serving. As for my daughter, on the other hand, I would hope she wouldn’t have to face some of the things that the girls I knew in the military faced.

Remember the fallen on this day. Remember the fallen in the battle we face for eternity. There is a battle going on. It’s fierce and brings many wounds. Catch a stumbling comrade. Get back to back with your brothers-in-arms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home