Friday, November 19, 2004

Secret Agent Man

I have to tell you about one boy in my class at church. As you might remember, I teach second grade boys in a military style.

Well, this one boy in particular seemed to hate coming to my class. He would duck out of the choir class that came first to avoid my class altogether. He would tell me, “I’m not a soldier. I’m playful!” I would ask him to try to do his best with what seemed hard, because we did do fun things too.

One day when this boy didn’t show up for class, I didn’t think much of it because I was by myself that night. Fifteen minutes into class time, an intern brought this boy to my class claiming to have found him hiding in the bookstore. Here he was with a dark jacket and sunglasses on.

To keep from busting out laughing, I smiled and said, “Come on in, 007.” He wanted to know what I meant. I told him he was my secret agent and I named him 007. That appealed to his heart. He began to participate more in class, now that I had recognized him as special. He never ducked out of class again and even brought a friend one night.

I don’t think that boy gets to spend much time with his dad. I’m so glad I handled the situation the way I did.

Men, the boys in your church need you. If their dad doesn’t show them how to be a man, who will?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home