Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Chocolate Milk

I remember when my first brother was born. Mom and Dad prepared me for being a big brother. Mom sometimes would tease me about getting a baby sister who would give me slobbery kisses.

There was a plan for when the big day came. I would go home with my grandmother while Mom and Dad went to the hospital.

When the day came, we all took Mom to the hospital including Grandma. When Mom and Dad were getting out of the car to go into the building, I was having serious doubts about the whole thing. I jumped out of the car behind Mom and Dad and cried, “I don’t want a baby sister!”

Well, Grandma took charge of me. I was to go home with her on a train. Grandma was sure that would hold my attention long enough to forget about Mom and Dad and wishing for a baby brother. It did.

It was very early in the morning when we boarded the train. I was so excited that there was no way on God’s green earth I was going to go to sleep. I guess everyone hated me on that train because Grandma always shushed me and the other passengers seemed to be giving me dirty looks.

When the dining car finally opened for breakfast, my Grandma thought at last this was something to occupy her four-year-old grandson. Grandma took me to get some breakfast.

Now the dining car looked just like a restaurant. In fact it looked a lot like the places my parents used to take me when we went out to eat. I used to get A-fries or American fries just like my dad, and have a nice cold glass of chocolate milk.

The waiter came and took our orders and I ordered chocolate milk with my breakfast. The man looked at me and said they didn’t have chocolate milk. I said, “Yes you do have chocolate milk!” For every denial, I insisted there was chocolate milk until the waiter walked away.

My grandma looked at me and gently told me to expect white milk because there was no chocolate milk. I just couldn’t conceive of any restaurant not having chocolate milk. I got chocolate milk at every restaurant I’d ever been, but now I was a little worried.

When the waiter came back with our food, he plunked down a glass in front of me. Low and behold, a glass of chocolate milk! I said, “See, I told you, you had chocolate milk!”

Grandma just smiled because I didn’t know that the waiter had told her that he had gone to the ice cream toppings and mixed some chocolate syrup into my milk to make it chocolate.

After breakfast, we went back to our seats where I immediately became restless again. Grandma sent me to the observation car, which was just up a set of stairs right in front of me. It was fine for a little while, but the sun made me hot shining through the windows. I began to feel a little car sick, so I wandered back to my Grandma.

When we arrived at my Grandmother’s house, I was told that I had a baby brother. Hallelujah!
It wasn’t long before Mom and Dad came to Grandma’s house to show me my little brother. When I saw him, I said, “He’s orange!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home